Chairman: Mr Cyril Groom

Clerk/Treasurer to the Trustees:
Mr Geoffrey Ward
Margalla, Higher Gunville
Milborne Port
Sherborne, DT9 5AW

Other Trustees :

Dr John Doherty
Mrs Susan Idreos
Mrs Terri Jezeph
Miss Penny Ratcliffe


Benevolent Fund

The Benevolent Fund is administratively entirely separate from BAFUNCS, but it is under the control of Trustees drawn from and appointed by the Association.  The BAFUNCS Benevolent Fund is registered with the United Kingdom Charity Commissioners (Registered Number 297524).  Its purpose is to give financial assistance to any former employees of the United Nations or its Organizations and Bodies and their dependants ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom.  Beneficiaries do not have to be members of the Association.  The Guide to the Fund has recently been revised, and is attached. A flyer providing information on the general categories of requests that can be considered is also attached.. An Appplication Form is available here, or from the Clerk/Treasurer, whose address is shown in the right-hand column of this page..

Further information about the Fund can be obtained from the Clerk to the Trustees, the BAFUNCS Regional Representatives or Regional Welfare Officers.  

A booklet "Where to find information and advice in dealing withthe problems of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia" has been prepared by the Benevolent Fund. The aim is to direct retirees and their families to organizations that offer information and advice in dealing with the problems related to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia generally. It is aimed at the difficult period where dementia is becoming increasingly serious and the interface between care in the home and care outside the home more important. It is not in any way intended to provide medical advice, financial advice or advocate a particular solution to any problem, but offers practical information useful to BAFUNCS retirees and/or their carers. This information is intended primarily for UN pensioners with a degree of financial independence; it is not a guide on how to obtain financial or other public support for disability. We refer to the specialised services that are offered by various national agencies and organizations to those meeting their entitlement criteria. This may be best dealt with by a visit to your local social services. They should be able to advise if the person concerned qualifies for assistance and, if so, help in applying for benefits. The BAFUNCS Benevolent Fund ( BBF) can provide some assistance by
financing respite care to allow a family carer to have a much-needed break; to assist towards transport costs to and from nursing home/respite care home; as well as to assist towards the costs of mobility aids (for example, buggies and stair lifts) and of rising chairs, bed and bath lifts, walk-in baths or wet rooms, etc. To enquire about this assistance please write/speak to the Clerk/Treasurer or one of the other BBF Trustees, whosel names are shown on the right-hand column of this page (individual contact details are in the annual Membership List, issued each September). Your Regional Representative also has copies of the BBF Guidelines and application forms for loans/grants.

The above-mentioned booklet is currently being revised, and the new version will include information on personal alarms and respite care. The revised version will be uploaded here as soon as it becomes available.

Updated 15 March 2017